Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Boost school rankings by ensuring high grades in all subjects

Some schools have encouraged students who do not fare as well as others in certain subjects, to drop the subjects. That seems to be making choices for the students and having prior assumptions towards their eventual grades in the major exams. This is rather unfair, isn't it?

Yes, the school teachers may have been using their earlier grades as a gauge but they cannot foretell how the students will do for the subjects in future. There is a possibility that the students may just need more time to grasp the subjects and they will fare better in the future tests or exams. Aren't they giving up hope too soon on the students and demoralizing them in the process?

They probably think they are saving the students from laying eyes on the failing marks in those subjects in their report books. This brings them back to the act of making prior assumptions towards how their students will fare for the subjects in the exams.

They evidently seem to think that they know what is best for their students, since they are teachers, but they are really ignoring their students' voices. After all, it is the students who will sit for the papers and whose lives that are at stake here.

When I was a student, my teachers never once brought up the matter of dropping my poor subjects. They continued being there to patiently answer my questions and even gave me pep talks, encouraging me to believe that I could eventually pass my subjects. I did and am grateful to them for not ever giving up on me.

What has happened to the education system with time? Are the schools just too caught up in climbing the ranks and producing good statistical results, at the expense of their students' morale and passions?

No comments: