Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Age as a number

I'm the same age as Suzanne Sng and in her article on age, I have the same thoughts as she has concerning it. I can be comfortably childish around people and not give any thought to their impression on me. I can also have views that reflect my age and experiences in my life that usually occur to much older people.

She mentioned her contemporaries not withholding their age from people and I too, feel there is no need to. However, it is because we look younger than our age and that is a blessing. I have people saying I look 16, 18 or 20 plus. She mentioned that a friend of hers enjoys shocking people with her age. I can almost empathise with it. Her colleague has problems at work because of it though. I too, have parents and agents doubting my age because I sound so young on the phone.

Indeed, sometimes I baulk at my younger friends in their 20s who complain they are already old due to their workload and commitments in life. I would be a dinosaur based on my age then! A friend in his 30s looked at me when he heard that. :P The threshold from 29 to 30 is harder to cross than those within the 20s or 30s. You feel as if you have aged a decade though it is really just a change in the first numeral. It is the significance behind it.

No comments: