Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Foreign teachers aren't all that incomprehensible

A local expressed dismay at how some students had problems understanding the verbal accents of foreign teachers. They just need more time, as the Minister replied. Some Singaporeans can be too impatient at times. Technology may be rampant but effectiveness comes with time. Instant gratification is not parallel to humanity. We will only know whether someone makes a good friend after we have known him for some time.

I was exposed to lecturers of different nationalities in my university. I had lecturers from England, Ireland, America and India. I found the Irish and the Indian accents most difficult to understand, but after some time, I could catch on to them and had no problems understanding my lecturers.

Mr Lui, the Minister, also spoke about grooming truly bilingual locals. I am blessed to realise that I am bilingual, as I can understand newspaper articles in English and Chinese.

No comments: