Saturday, August 28, 2010

Inflexible marking of English assignments

"Rushed" and "Ran" is the same as "In a quick way". Just because the given answer is the latter, the former is immediately ruled out. English is supposed to encourage creative expression and yet the markers themselves exhibit the opposite. How ironic. As an English teacher, I believe there is room for the rephrasing of the answers. I usually try to think from the point of view of my students when I see a different answer from what is given. I attempt to analyse the reason behind their answers and at times, this results in discussions between my students and I on the questions, which I rather enjoy.

It is not so easy to read the mind of the teachers who set the questions and attempt to give the exact words of the answers. Each time I try to explain to my students to make an attempt to read the teachers' minds, I am given confused looks in return. I don't blame them. Telepathy is something beyond natural.

If the answer is rephrased in a different way but has the exact meaning as the given answer, it is acceptable. This is especially applicable to Science questions. Kettle A being against a bigger surface is the same as Kettle B being against a smaller surface. These two perspectives are referring to the same answer.

No comments: