Sunday, January 15, 2006

Gaining attention for a petty triviality - ludicrous!

I was queuing up at a bank close to lunch time and the line was exceptionally long, also probably due to the impending New Year seaon.

A middle-aged woman came into the bank and joined me in queuing up. Her external appearance already attracted her attention from others. She spoke very loudly on her handphone in a husky-sounding voice, thus upping the attention factor on her. However, it was what she said that gained her the most attention and my extreme irritation.

She was complaining to the person on the other line of her phone about the inefficiencies of the bank's way of running its operations. She wasn't the only one in a snaking line and nobody else was making a big fuss about it as she was. People were giving her 'dirty' looks but she probably itched for them anyway. She was just embarrassing herself really.

Being directly in front of her, I was really exercising a lot of self-control. I really wanted to slap her face but only cast her 'dirty' glances from the corner of my eye. However, my face was 'black' and I looked really angry. Sometimes one knows how one looks when the feeling within is so strong.

She complained to the teller in a disgruntled tone when she reached the counter. I was shaking my head in a disparaging manner. I was so annoyed by then that I didn't care if she saw me. I may have placed myself at risk of getting beaten up by her but I am convicted that I was in the right.

Seriously, the reason why I was 'boiling' inside was because her grievance is petty. She acted as if the whole world owes her a living and gives me the impression that she thinks she's richer than the tellers, so she has the 'right' to complain.

Yes, the customer may be right but that can give way to arrogance, as in this case.

I pity her as well. She seems like an unhappy person who's bogged down by a heavy workload and lets trivialities get to her so much. She's so blind to the blessings she actually possesses, like a normal physicality and a son.

No comments: