Monday, March 20, 2006

abundance vs lack and definite invasion of dignity

There was an article in the papers about Zimbabwe's women having to use newspapers and tree bark as sanitary towels. I was shocked upon reading it.

We in Singapore have different types of such products for different days of the process. I myself, get 3-4 variations and we would usually feel uncomfortable without them with us, when the need arises. A temporary measure of tissue wouldn't reduce the discomfort and there are worse situations out there due to poverty.

I hope this situation improves drastically as there is a great need to. It affects me because I'm a woman myself and can sympathise with those in Africa. This will affect their health due to the bacterial nature of the materials used and yet they have no other alternatives to turn to.

On my side, I know I've to cherish the peace and prosperity Singapore offers. They come from good government leaders bestowed by God.

Another article mentioned male perverts taking pictures of women's chests with their camera phones, in the MRT trains. That is not only an invasion of personal privacy but also a degradation of dignity towards the women! Their bodies are objectified and seen with sexual lust. Even when the women block their chests with their belongings, this doesn't daunt the men from continuing. They still shamelessly shift themselves to get a clearer view.

I am really angry and disgusted with these idle troublemakers. I think I will stare bravely and angrily at the perpetrator. There are so many other people around and I doubt he'd dare do anything explicit to me. I'll also note his appearance and dressing in order to report him to the MRT staff after alighting.

No comments: