Saturday, December 09, 2006

Job prospects for Art grads

Ratna Tiwary wrote this really appealing article on Art graduates and here are my two cents' worth on it.

I am an Art graduate myself and am ashamed to say that I began looking for jobs only upon my graduation. I was too absorbed in trying to do well in my examinations. Thank God, I found a job which seemed perfect.

Yes, who says a degree can get you everywhere? It is only a passport to jobs and once you get a job, you have to start afresh in the working world. Dressing is definitely an important aspect of getting around in this world, what more when at interviews. As a private tutor, I still dress suitably when going for my first lesson with a new student. It makes an impression on the parent, besides the way I speak and act towards him or her.

She mentioned some students failing to complete assignments or choosing a degree based on reputation. These ill-disciplined students who think assignments aren't of any use, are probably taking advantage of tertiary education's independent and lax system, where the lecturers and tutors don't really badger the students if they fail to hand in their work. Eventually, these students are really the ones to bear the negative consequences of this lack of effort.

Some others pursue a major because it will provide them with a good income in future or cause others to envy them. That belittles the true essence of the degree, I feel. Their lack of authentic passion for it is an insult to graduates who pursue the degree out of genuine interest.

No comments: