Friday, January 05, 2007

"Little ironies of Singapore"

Edwin Yeo wrote in his Wise Guy column about three things that had bugged him in 2006. Upon reading his article, I felt compelled to add some of my thoughts pertaining to it.

He mentioned people using packets of tissue paper to reserve places when they eat out. I recall this anecdote told to me about how a mother took a piece of tissue paper from a packet which was used to reserve the table, in order to use it to wipe her mouth. At that moment, the occupants of the table came back and saw her. As they stood behind, they were wondering at her gesture. It brought out a snigger in me.

Instead of having the packet as a sign of reservation, it was used in its proper form. Their intention backfired but I think they should feel a tinge of shame after this incident. Lol.

Edwin Yeo then went on to mention annoying taxi drivers who charge unreasonably exorbitant fares on their passengers. I am grateful to note that not only has this scenario never happened to me but the taxi drivers I encounter also give me respect. They know when I want to be with my thoughts or work, and when I'm open to conversation. They don't go beyond my line of obnoxiousness when chatting with me. Some even offer me advice on how to live.

I recall a friendly driver who told me about his personal experiences and on how to judge a man of good character when intending to marry. He clarified with me that he only meant well by the conversation. Sometimes the conversations I hold with such drivers are interesting to have. :)

No comments: