Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Teaching nuggets

These are some observations I have with regards to teaching:

1) We have to give chances to those who have blotched their earlier performances, so that they can redeem themselves. We may have to give them the benefit of the doubt at times and be gracious towards them too.

2) Technology is very useful in terms of English lessons. English is linked to general knowledge and I use my digital camera to take pictures in order to show my students what the world out there is like. I also give them my blog's URL so that they can learn more about current affairs as well as proper sentence structure. I email them examination tips nearer to their paper and converse with them via MSN on any queries they may have. I surf the Internet for stories or topics that are of interest to them, and then print the notes out for the lesson.

3) It is of no use sheltering the present generation from the facts of life, as they will still be exposed to it via dangerous means. They are different from the past batches of youths.

A case in point is sex education. Oftentimes we dread talking to them about it out of awkwardness but when we evade their curious questions, we may push them to search for their answers by exploring the topic through physical intimacy in a relationship. This creates social problems like unwanted pregnancies and STDs. I am fortunate to an avid reader, as my parents exposed me to it by giving me books to read. What about those who do not like to read?

When I mentioned lesbianism during a lesson, I was met with ignorant eyes. I chose to speak more about it instead of stopping short at the mere mention of it. This will give the impression that it is something that exists and will have to be exposed to someday. By concealing the true facts about it, curiosity is ignited and may be quenched using the wrong means. That would bring about a bigger problem. My method nips the problem in the bud.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, i do agree with you on the way to approach students about sex education.ITS VERY SENSITIVE ISSUES. With carefully n intelligently way of approaching them , it might be accepted healthily.In my experienced, b4 i did go through the subjects, ussually i would injected in them of existing 'God' n 'Sins'.It does work.

Joanna said...

Hey, I'm glad that someone agrees with me. Not everyone does. Most would avoid the subject. I understand that there is awkwardness but as adults whom the children look up to, we can try to put that feeling aside for their benefit. To me, sex education is part of life and if we speak in a mature manner about it, children will take it in the right way too. So you are a Christian too, since you categorise concepts in either God or Sin. :)) That does help especially children in a religion. :)