Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Teachers' gawking behaviour

Teachers' intimate relations with student minors, provocative pictures on the internet and jaw-dropping enterprises on their blogs have shamed the dignity of their profession. Santokh Singh wrote an article on the modern evolution of the relationship between teachers and students. I heartily disagree with it however.

He frowns upon teachers revealing their handphone numbers to their students. I am 'guilty' of such a gesture. I'm also 'guilty' of sharing with them my email address, msn nickname and blog. I use smses to confirm lessons with them, email notes on the exam, use msn to answer their queries on the questions they encounter and use my blog to teach them language and writing skills through my entries on life. It does mean extending my contact with them after lesson hours, but queries form in the students' minds even after school hours. Then who do they turn to for such academic puzzles to be solved? Does this gesture of mine mean that I'm overstepping the boundaries between my students and I? I am not having any physical intimacy with them and my blogs are harmless. Go, scrutinise them and refute this.

My tone may be informal and friendly when communicating with them using such technological tools, but students nowadays are different from those of the previous generations. They would like their teacher to be their friend too. Yes, I admit to using abbreviations in the process but it is a way of being understood. I've used the full form of the terms but instead they cause bewilderment in return.

It's not that we're depriving the parents of their time with their children. Do they even have time to give to their children? Yes, it is after school hours but most parents are too busy with their jobs to give their full attention to their children. Why are there so many latch-key children then?

No comments: