Sunday, October 18, 2009

Changes in the way English is taught.

MOE is planning to bring back the systematic way of teaching grammatical skills in schools. I definitely condone that. The students I interact with lack such basic linguistics in their work. They are heavily influenced by the media which may not be proper channels of language usage.

When this method was removed from the teaching syllabus, that was very much a mistake, I feel. Using a more subtle method to teach grammar, in terms of contextual setting, does not make it as clear and easy to understand.

I have heard of trainee teachers majoring in the English language using improper English and speaking worse English than those who choose to major in other subjects. How ironic and sad. I disagree with a tuition centre director who feels that such mangled English learnt from the media and technological communication is really an evolution of the language rather than a deterioration.

A retired English teacher does not have any qualms about code-switching from English to Singlish at appropriate times. I am glad to know that. I am a code-switcher but I know that I must not deviate more towards the latter in general. Another teacher recommends reading and listening to the BBC channel as tools towards speaking good English. I do read but must strive to listen to more narration from documentaries on television. I use the Internet far too much and it does not have such natural narration. It is mostly made up of written linguistics, and the music and videos on it have verbal language which may not be grammatically correct.

No comments: