Sunday, November 29, 2009

Annoying English words

Fiona Chan mentioned a few terms that irritate her to no end. This is such an interesting article that I have to blog about it.

I am guilty of having used the word "whatever" many times in the past. That caused my best friend to verbally express his strong dislike of it in our interaction. It was valid because I would utter it whenever I disagreed with his views but did not want to blatantly show that. Now I barely utter it, not just with him but with others too. The only time I do is when I am irritated. Oops, I am also guilty of using "k" to mean "ok".

How can "literally" be substituted for "really"? Their meanings are different. It is the same case for "whereby" and "where". I will not explain the variations here though. The dictionary clearly does it.

"chillaxing"?! What kind of word is that? I know it is a combination of "chill" and "relaxing", but this is yet another attempt to maul the English language.

No comments: