Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Technology on real-life

Tan Shzr Ee explores the effect of the Internet on our lives and it is an unhealthy result. She is on the Internet while she waits for her instant noodles to be cooked. What if she gets so focused on her surfing that she allows her noodles to burn? It has happened to me before. I was on the phone and totally forgot about my noodles. :S Also, the virtual conversation she is having with her friend who is overseas has sadly encroached on her real-life conversation with her husband. It is rather hurtful to do that to the one you love, to not give your full attention to him.

In terms of linguistic ability, Internet language aka acronyms or instant messaging, has tainted our proper usuage of English. What a sad state of affairs to behold. The rationale behind it is to obtain instant comprehension from others but the language I love most has been mauled and brutalized in the process :S

Technology may be very advanced with the various choices we have but the new knowledge we are introduced to is also one that is temporal. It is quickly replaced by another that is better and more up-to-date. A case in point is the games I play on Facebook. I used to love Farmville but now I have given up on it, as I discover new games like Roller Coaster Kingdom and Home Inn.

Though the human brain is capable of absorbing and applying vast amounts of information, technology moves too quickly for the brain to catch up, I feel. Sometimes it is better to be involved in singular activities so that full understanding of each is obtained. Having too many choices on one's plate can cause greed. Though more time is spent on singular activities, it is well worth it, I feel. Saving time compromises on the quality of the activities. I have always been a serialistic person rather than a holistic person.

Technology is also used by some to build a wall against others, for fear of revealing their inner insecurities. They bury themselves in surfing the Internet to look busy in public places. It becomes a source of protection and refuge for them. I myself am guilty of using short message service to communicate and interact with people, instead of a telephone conversation. I feel more comfortable revealing my deeper feelings in a written form.

The effect of the Internet on humans is frightening. A mother went online to ask for advice instead of calling for medical help or at least a friend, when there was a suicide attempt in her family. The first thing that she should have done is to get professional medics to attend to the person. That applies to anyone. There is also a higher chance of getting opinions from more laymen which may not be correct, as a result. Then again, did she feel ashamed to reveal such a matter to people she knew? Her choice of action was based on emotion and not instinct/rationale. Alas.

No comments: