Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Evident racism

An American uni student had a racist attitude towards Asians on her selfmade video. She was unhappy that they invited their relatives to visit them over the weekend. I find nothing wrong with that. She claimed that they have "no manners" but doesn't she also lack them through this video?

What utterly disgusts me is when she showed disdain at their calls to check up on their family members during the recent Japanese disaster. It shows her lack of compassion and sympathy. I wonder whether she would still feel ashamed at these feelings if she were in their shoes and they showed understanding towards her, which I have no doubt they would. Her reason for such an attitude is that they disturbed her studying progress. How insignificant!

Thank goodness she has decided to leave the uni. She is a disgrace to it and society. However, in citing her reasons for her move, I detect a resentment in the tone she uses. Perhaps I am prejudiced against her. I hope that the consequences of her video have taught her to respect others and their feelings in times of crisis. It is unfortunate though that her family has to bear them as well. I feel that she deserves them but not her family.

No comments: