Thursday, November 16, 2006

Experiential teaching of English

I was eating my lunch when this pair of mother and daughter sat beside me. What followed between them was a very interesting observation for me.

There was the shop Polar Puffs nearby and the girl asked her mother the meaning of the word "puffs". Her mother told her they are like cakes and taught her that the word is a noun; a name of something. Her mother also added that the word is a verb too. She gave the example of the Big Bad Wolf.

I was intrigued by the way the mother taught English to her daughter. She used the tangible realities in life as tools. Her daughter had just asked a simple question but she took the chance to expound academically on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

someone's been eavesdropping... bad girl hehehe