Monday, December 28, 2009

First foreign dormitory in my estate: Serangoon Gardens

The first batch of residents have taken up residence in the dormitory. They seem to be mostly China migrant workers and this has set the fears of many of the local residents to rest. I think the initial fear was based on the ethnicity of the workers. They had been rumoured to be Indian construction workers. I mean no offence to them but they personally strike fear within me due to some black sheep who have lecherous eyes. I am merely of average looks but these black sheep cast their eyes on every single female that they see, and that poses a great sense of discomfort to me. I too, am glad that the dormitory residents are China migrant workers.

I agree with some of the feedback given by residents. We were rather biased out of fear upon hearing about the proposed dormitory and indeed, the workers are behaving themselves well. As a matter of fact, the Indian construction workers along my road have not given me any trouble in terms of behavioural issues as well. However, I feel that the resident who plans to move out because of the dormitory matter, is really overreacting and making herself look foolish. She is the only one interviewed, who is planning to moving out. Her reason is unjustifiable as there are no problems posed by the migrant workers. The prejudice she has towards them is unfounded. The ironies are that her house does not even face the dormitory and she has been staying there for but less than a year. The residents whose houses are facing it and who have been staying there for many years, are not even planning to move out.

In order to facilitate the concerns of the residents, a proposal whereby residents and dormitory dwellers team up to patrol the estate for safety purposes has been handed in. I feel that it is a very good idea as it will allay the fears of the residents and allow them to get to know the dwellers for who they are.

No comments: