Saturday, September 10, 2005

Service to customers

This issue has been one of the popular topics discussed in the newspapers. It is primarily on salespeople giving bad service to customers and practising double standards towards foreigners as opposed to locals. The other side of the coin has been mentioned too, that customers must show they deserve that good service.

I encountered a grouchy lady selling Western food in a coffeeshop today. She had given me 3 pieces of serviettes and the fan had blown them away. My friend helped me ask for more after I had finished eating and she said she had given me already. My friend said I had dropped it and she said I ought to be scolded for that. She wasn't joking. Her face was perfectly serious and grumpy. She gave 2 pieces eventually but we were left wondering what she was thinking about.

I was however fine with her behaviour. I wasn't surprised with it because getting stallholders in coffeeshops to give exemplary service isn't easy due to their lower educational level. I reckoned that she was in a bad mood and was tired too. She was still looking grumpy when serving other customers. Oh well.

No comments: