Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Audaciously editing the answers of PSLE Tamil scripts

A teacher had changed the answers of 3 Tamil scripts and this secret was exposed by an alert person. This was a very daring act on the part of the teacher.

I was discussing this exposed secret with Frances. We analysed the reasons behind the teacher's deed. Perhaps she was trying to help the students pass or do well in the subject out of pity or favouritism for them. That may be a good intention but the method of doing so is evil. Thus this is evil personified, a lesson I learnt at my choir retreat. Besides, she can't tide them over all their lives. They have to ultimately sit for future exams on their own. She is really teaching them how to cheat and is a disgrace to the teaching industry.

Frances feels that it may be the parents of the students that had bribed the teacher to do so. I'm open to that theory. If they had wanted their children to be promoted to secondary school and would do anything to achieve that aim, then they probably had no qualms in resorting to such a desperate means. That's even worse than pulling strings with the school. That is an immoral approach.

Also, it may satisfy the short-term goal but the children will have problems coping with the secondary school syllabus because they may have needed more time than others to prepare themselves for it, by learning the subject for another year. It's fine if your children are slower learners. It doesn't make them stupid or anything. I obtained my Honours degree in a longer time as compared to others but I still attained it in the end. I just needed more time to understand my subjects. I'm still a university graduate. This mindset of children not being smart if they take a longer time to learn is rather narrow-minded.

No comments: