Thursday, November 22, 2007

Feedback on Noelle's article

A parent wrote in to give his take on the local education system from a fellow foreigner's perspective.

His son was told by his teachers that "his Mandarin was poor (and he has to) catch up with the school standard". What a joke! He had taken Higher Mandarin in China. China is the native country of the language and our country employs teachers from China to teach our students the language. How can "his Mandarin (be) poor"?!

Also, the boy was told that "he had not had any proper education for the past five years" and this is the cause of his undesirable grade in a particular subject. How can another country's education be so negatively commented on? China has its benefits too and the citizens aren't all that stupid. It is an insult to the boy's country of birth. I wonder how he had felt. Though its medium of learning is Mandarin, their education system can't be all that bad.

These two cases only serve to illustrate how some of our teachers can be so insensitive and tactless. Arrogance and distastefulness are also some other words that come to mind. I hope that these black sheep don't affect foreigners' perceptions of our teachers. There are some extraordinary ones and no, I'm not referring to myself.

A P5 student actually wrote in to comment on this too. His view will stand strong because it is from the horse's mouth. I'm glad he decided to write in.

I feel he's blessed to have such a good English teacher who gives clear explanations for his marking scheme in compositions. His Math and Science teachers have obviously taught him so well that he is inspired to write about them. I completely agree with his comment on the system: "...a system should not be blamed in case one particular student is unable to cope."

Ho Kong Loon, a retired teacher, wrote about this article too. He says our system advocate authority and conformity. Yes, I could not fathom having anything else other than respect for my teachers. It took some time for me to see my university lecturers as friends too.

Conformity can be associated with rigidity in answering questions. It was Literature which I majored in, that allowed me to accept the possibility of using different texts for a set essay question. I was assured that I did not need to use the recommended texts and that as long as my texts were relevant to the question, and I provided convincing and sensible arguments in my answer, they were considered acceptable.

One teacher will find it challenging to handle forty students at one go and that is where home tuition comes in. Its one-to-one approach gives weaker students who find it difficult to understand or catch up with school lessons, personalized teaching. The students may not dare to ask questions in class too and so here, opportunities are presented for them to do so with fewer qualms.

The letter sees him as a defender of our system, with loyal feelings towards it. I get the impression that he is saying that since Noelle can afford to send her kids to an international school, she should have done so at the start. He also ends his letter rather convictedly, implying that our system is far superior to others, as it is more "serious" and practical in its focus. He seems to be undermining and subtly mocking other systems.

No comments: