Thursday, September 03, 2009

Social manners

Ms Esther Lim was wondering whether it is polite to clear our trays after we eat. I think it's a innately compulsory act when we eat at fast food restaurants. It is not so pertinent in food courts where the cleaners do so for us. At the same time, it would relieve their load if we do it ourselves. Take Ion's Food Opera for instance. Customers merely take it for granted that they will clear the trays, but due to the immense publicity of the shopping mall and its food tenants, resulting in a surge in the number of customers, the cleaners have problems coping with this task.

I remember observing the American culture when I ate at a fast food restaurant in the US. The customers take the initiative to clear their trays and if someone does not, he will get disapproving vibes from the others. Of course, my parents and I realised that we have to follow suit. This observation stayed with me when I returned to Singapore, and is still part of my value system till today. I try to clear my trays when I eat at fast food restaurants and thank the cleaners at food courts who clear my trays. It may be part of their job but it does not hurt to show them appreciation for it. :)

Mr Soh Teow Kwee was lamenting the rudeness of a lady who had blown her nose in front of him, as they were sharing a table in a food centre. He had asked her to stop blowing her nose when people around her were eating. I feel that she did not do anything very wrong by doing that. He was just being too picky. By writing to the authorities about this triviality, and posing those questions in his letter, he seems to be an uppity elitist where social behaviour is concerned. Of course, the lady was wrong as well. She should have apologised and not been so rude to him. She even challenged him and blew her nose more intensely.

No comments: