Saturday, August 12, 2006

Being exacting can be a turn-off

I was at J8's NTUC and was waiting in the queue behind this lady who had bought numerous six-pack cartons of a drink. As she was loading them onto the counter, she asked for the sparkling type. I switched to another queue as I knew she was going to take a long time in paying for her items.

When the salesgirl replied that it was sold out and only the original type was left, she made a really big fuss over it. She said she had been told that there was an offer over it and she could not believe that it had been sold out.

I was so repulsed by her behaviour because when something is sold out, it shows its popularity and the normal thing to do is to accept the news with disappointment. However, she was ranting and raving. What gives her the edge over the rest of humankind to act differently?? I was so fed up that I said pretty loudly to my friend that she was an example of a black sheep. Obviously, it didn't serve to stop her obnoxious attitude.

She was attracting irritated eyes from the nearby customers, including myself but she couldn't care less. All she wanted was her own way. Her husband was standing near her, hapless at how to stop her. Even the salesgirl gave her dagger-like looks for her ridiculous behaviour.

Very soon, she had pushed away all the other customers behind her as they switched to other queues. As I left, she was still at her 'speech of justice'. She really spoilt my mood.

No comments: