Wednesday, August 09, 2006

School? Play too!

Ho Kong Loon wrote about how school nowadays is so pressurizing for children as compared to school of bygone days. He reminisced about the "moments of joy, laughter, firm friendships and camaraderie" that defined his learning days. He did enjoy the "companionship of schoolmates (and) the love and concern of teachers"

Such times during my A'level days were brought to mind as I read on. I had a bunch of mates whom I spent most of my time with. We ate together, studied together and even prayed together. I remember fondly our short days, when we used to go to the prata stalls and Japanese restaurant at Casuarina Road. The Indian Rojak and Oyako Don were really enticing. Our school was also opposite Hans. When we stayed back in school to study, we went there for lunch. Meifen loved the Grilled Fish there and she introduced it to me. There were also a minimart and coffeeshop along the same row of shops. Gerry and I used to buy lots of snacks and sweets to keep ourselves awake while ploughing through the endless notes we had. We used to go to North- point as well. It was our favourite haunt since there was a straight bus, 853, back to our homes. The food court was where we always headed to.

I have fond memories of studying not only with my mates but also with my seniors. They were kind enough to help us with any difficulties we faced. I remember copying my homework assignments from the smarter ones like Fazeela and Vanitha while eating my breakfast of Fried Bee Hoon with a slice of fried luncheon meat at 6.45am in the canteen. We used to sit at the first table every morning. I remember Yvonne and Shufen coaching me in Econs when I had to do a sub-paper that would determine my promotion. I did get promoted to the next year, God bless them. I also remember Shufen rubbing the deep purple bruise on my left arm really hard till it became red. Oh, how it hurt!

My Accounts tutor Mrs Wong gave me a pep talk to encourage us not to give up on her subject because we could still pass it. We were not hopeless. The time she spent touched me profoundly and I did pass her subject eventually. I was ecstastic when I got my results and immediately went to her. Mrs Fung and Ms Lim were extremely patient, understanding and gentle with my slow learning of A Math. I used to ask them the stupidest questions but they would never blink an eye and would guide me through to the answers. I did pass A Math too. Mdm Ang gave me money to take a cab home after my wallet was stolen from my bag while I was browsing at books in the library. I was distraught and desperate, and her understanding was much needed then.

May introduced me to the concept of a cell group, which is part of a Protestant's spiritual journey. I am a Roman Catholic and before that, this was alien to me. Together with my Accounts tutor Ms Chan, she introduced me to its workings of bible sharing and praise and worship. My Christian music tastes became more varied. She also brought me to the Festival of Praise event.

Ho Kong Loon also referred to Jeremy Lim's plea for school holidays to be play days rather than working ones filled with assignments and homework. With the evolution of time, parents' priorities change too. Children have to do exercises in their assessment books to while away the time instead of wasting time on "useless activities" like playing, watching TV or surfing the Internet. There is learning involved in such activities too! I pity them but they cannot tell their parents what they really want to do, which is to play. Will their parents listen?

He sent out a plea to those involved in educating the young to let them enjoy their learning years. I try my best to do so while teaching my kids, so that they don't dread my lessons.

No comments: