Monday, August 07, 2006

Desiring to fill the solitude

We'll have times of solitude in our lives. However, solitude can mean being alone but not feeling lonely. We can occupy those times with activities like dwelling on past memories with nostalgic fondness, observing people around us or improving our knowledge through reading. These quiet pastimes are evidently done on our own, as opposed to messaging someone on the phone. We do need time on our own. Being with others can be emotionally exhausting.

A friend taught me that it's more polite to focus properly on your friend when you're out together, by not messaging others and calling others. Answering calls however, is acceptable. I can see the logic of this. Spending time with people who matter to you is precious and you don't want to spoil it with such actions. This is especially pertinent when attending religious services. It's bad enough to talk during them and distract others in the process, but not to switch handphones to the silent mode before services is even worse. It is extremely irritating to hear handphones ring loudly when one's silent before the Lord, seeking inner peace.

Yes, having a handphone has become a prevalent necessity nowadays. I myself, have an 'addiction' to it. I think I receive a message or call when my handphone is in my bag. I feel vibrations emitting from it. However, it is not true when I check my handphone. It's probably a subconscious desire for people to contact me. When I forget to bring it out, I do wonder whether I've had any missed calls or messages. It does feel good to know people want to contact you. Maybe I'm being egoistic. It's also true that without it, I cannot remember some of my contact numbers. I use it as my clock as well.

Conversely, without one, it allows me to empathise with those who don't have handphones. Deprivation can lead to compassion. Also, it is more convenient when you're trying to avoid contact from people who irk you. Missing their calls or deleting their messages can't always take place.

No comments: