Saturday, August 19, 2006

The real definition of Singlish and mobile phone users

The controversy on English versus Singlish continues in the newspapers and this time, the definition of the latter is mentioned. Singlish is not ungrammatical English, or English incorporating dialectically exclusive terms, or peppered with words and phrases from other languages , as we are portraying to foreigners, but proper English in a Singaporean accent.

It's really interesting how people use their moblie phones. When I'm alone, this becomes more apparent to me.

Some people speak really loudly on their phones and I am practically "in" their conversations. I heard a girl lamenting to her friend on the other line that she has no boyfriend and her friends who have boyfriends don't spend much time with her nowadays. Of course I'm not immune from this phenomenon but I am trying to tone down when I speak.

Some women answer their calls while in the toilet cubicle. It's rather rude and uncouth, I feel. The person on the other line is audibly privy to what you are doing inside and yes, you do keep people outside your cubicle waiting.

No comments: