Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Seniority in age doesn't lead to priority in service

I was waiting for my order of Guo Tie at a stall and the assistant had warned me that it would be given to me last because the noodle orders were easier to attend to and thus done first. I agreed since I wasn't famished.

While waiting, there were customers with me who asked why the orders took such a long time but they did so in a light-hearted manner, as they did understand that the stallholders were already trying their best. There was however, one irksome customer who was making a really big fuss over it. She was definitely above 60 years of age based on her appearance.

She scolded the assistant for taking such a long time when she had finished eating her other dishes. She was sitting down for goodness sake while the rest of us were standing. Moreover, I had waited for 20 minutes without so much as a whine! Her seniority didn't entitle her to be so demanding, I feel. I was a little fed up with her. Her voice was really loud and even my friend at the other end of the coffeeshop could hear her.

The assistant was petrified and at a loss but this nice customer calmed her down by patting her back. The assistant could only tell the old lady to wait another 5 minutes in a polite manner and apologise profusely. The customer kept saying she wanted to go home and refused to listen. She kept rattling verbally. $5 is still money and so the assistant humbly tried to pacify her.

After the old lady went back to her seat, the stallholders remarked that Guo Tie needs time to be cooked well. They were calm about the whole matter though. They immediately fried the Guo Tie though and when she came back to ask again, they told her it was ready. She didn't want it however, as she was already fuming by then. The stallholder had to serve her personally even though it is self-service. He was humble and that pacified her.

What a customer! She was so impatient, lacked understanding and self-control. Then again, her age may have been the factor to such a behaviour!

No comments: