Friday, December 07, 2007

My fanatical love for books

Valerie Tay wrote on her children falling in love with books and this holds true with me. I remember my parents leaving me at Times the Bookshop in Centrepoint for 2 hours when I was young. They wanted to cultivate in me an interest in reading and they have succeeded. I'm absolutely crazy over books even as an adult and my genres of reading have widened.

This contributes to my fluency in English and this result is what I keep trying to tell children, especially those who are not so proficient in English. They don't have to read genres they don't like. They can choose those they do like. In the process of pursuing their pleasures, they are unconsciously absorbing good language skills.

I am grateful for my parents' intention to cultivate in me a love for reading. It paid off really well. :)

No comments: