Friday, December 07, 2007

Superiority of nationality

Cynthia Tan wrote in and commented on some blogs written by Singaporeans. They claimed that since our currency unit is very strong, we are superior. I think that is audacious and rather ignorant to think. Currencies fluctuate with economic changes and our currency unit may just become weak without us expecting it. Change is really the only permanence in life, as Keats's Ode To Autumn implies. This younger generation is obviously a spoilt cohort.

She also mentioned how education should make a person better in character and not just in intelligence. That is so true. I know of someone who embodies the concept of education not benefitting her character. It's rather sad that this person thinks others are worse than she is when she really is. There are different ways of being calculative, really. There's a difference between being thick-skinned and being uncomfortable with expressing oneself.

She noted most Singaporeans react badly to criticism and I agree with her. I believe this person I know is like that and so I don't bother to lash back at her when she criticises me. I just don't take it to heart though it is unfair. Why let evil control you by doing the same? I thank Tiffany for teaching me this and I'm humbled as she is much younger than I am.

No comments: